10/15/2004

POLITICAL DOUBLE-HEADER



There's plenty of fine documentary action to behold at this year's Central Standard Film Festival. I'm tearing myself away from editing my own to see this long-awaited double-header:

SECURITY AND THE CONSTITUTION
Saturday, 12 noon @ Heights Theater

When he's not teaching classes on the Patriot Act or working on other people's films, Matt Ehling makes hard-hitting and extremely informative documentaries like Urban Warrior, which was critical of the increasing militarization of the police in this country. In Security and the Constitution, Ehling examines the erosion of civil liberties in the United States throughout history, from WW II internments through Cold War McCarthyism and finally Bush's post-9/11 "permanent war" America.

The real treat may be after the film - a panel discussion including FBI Agent Coleen Rowely. Not to be missed.

Security and the Constitution also airs on TPT-2 on October 28, 2004, at 9:00 PM

WELLSTONE!
Saturday, 2 PM @ Heights Theater

Whenever I see Paul Wellstone speak - if you can call that fire in his belly mere "speaking" - I get chills down my spine. I remember seeing him speak at the U of M in 1990. I arrived apolitical, but left with a green Wellstone bus button – and just maybe, the burgeoning heart of a liberal. I, like many Minnesotans, was devastated by his and Sheila's untimely death in 2002. Lori and I went to an anti-war protest on the capitol grounds days after his death. In the midst of the great energy lingering after the protest was a quiet impromptu Wellstone memorial. I made this short Wellstone tribute video to capture my feelings that day.

Down the hall from Matt Ehling, the talented and dedicated filmmakers at Hard Working Pictures have been working hard, for a long time, to pay tribute to Wellstone's spirit and populist politics. This is probably the most anticipated documentary to ever emerge from Minnesota. Those of us who couldn't make Thursday's big premiere are sure hoping to get into this screening. Don't worry – it's also screening later this month at U Film Society.

Meanwhile, whet your thirst with this terrific Get Out the Vote! short film featuring plenty of great Wellstone clips and Al Franken.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anyone go to the Security and the Constitution panel discussion? I've heard Coleen Rowley is pretty radically against basic civil liberties, which seems weird since the DFL encouraged her to run for office. I'm curious if she spoke about that at all.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Chuck Olsen said...

mrp? we were there and captured most of her comments on camera (tiny MPG files). i'll post them sometime this week. she's pro-civil liberties, no doubt in my mind. she understands the tradeoff between liberty and security - but says the pendulum has swung too far overboard to the detriment of liberty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home