8/18/2005

Lonely teardrops from Mr. Republican's grandson

Bob "Zero Tolerance" Taft fights back tears (and the angry ghost of his grandfather):

I am here today to publicly apologize to the people of the State of Ohio for my failure to provide complete financial disclosure statements to the Ohio Ethics Commission as mandated by law. I accept total responsibility for my mistake, and I'm sorry.

And here I was thinking that the man's astonishing 19% approval rating was caused mostly by Coingate, a rollicking farce of standard-issue Republican greed and thievery. Hell, seems only yesterday that John Rowland (R-CT) was forced to resign for similar reasons. What is up with these Republican governors who must piss upon the public trust so readily? I'm even getting a bit of cognitive dissonance, since no matter how much I despise Tim Pawlenty, I know I'll never catch him fishing around in my grandma's purse or accepting shady hockey tickets. (I also wonder why a wealthy blueblood like Bob Taft even needs to get free golf matches, etc., surely he can just pay his fair share? At least poor people steal for a reason.)

Anyway, in a coupla weeks I will likely be visiting at least one sacred Ohio Republican shrine (including the animatronic Charlie Taft oracle), and I shall report back with my findings.

2 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger Luke Francl said...

According to the Wikipedia, Taft can pardon himself.

How sweet is that?

Maybe he should make a contest to see how low he can get his approval ratings to go.

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top Democrats also stopped short of calling for Mr. Taft's resignation, rather saying that lawmakers must rid the state of a "culture of corruption that is much bigger than Bob Taft and his golfing habits."

I'm not sure if they mean that politics as a whole in the state, or Tafts administration thats caused the culture of corruption.
Jsut a question. anyway, Let me get this right, And correct me if I'm wrong.
Taft finds some incorrect filings as far back as 98. He reports those findings to the proper people. He has charges brought by the ethics committee. He stands in front of a judge and says yes to all charges, takes full responsibility and accepts whatever consequences are handed down by the court and apologizes for the mistake. And you think he should resign. Hell, in todays political climate you almost want to celebrate the dumbass.

I will bet that besides the republican in Ohio who has already said he thinks Taft should resign. There wont be many or anymore asking for his resignation. They woudn't want that picture next to their face 6 months from now when they are answering questions about there misgivings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home