3/29/2005

"Can I count on your support of Patty Wetterling with a $100 donation?"

That was the closer for the call I received this morning on behalf of Patty Wetterling's bid for Senate. The caller, most likely an employee of a telemarketing firm in Washington state (hence the 206 area code that showed up on the caller ID box) spewed off a bunch of facts from a script about how Ms. Wetterling was the best person for the job and that polls indicated that she had the best chance of beating Mark Kennedy. I resisted the urge to ask whether or not the caller knew that Wetterling had been beat by Kennedy back in November, though knowing the telemarketing industry, I'm sure there was a response to this in the script.

From the sound of it, Patty Wetterling is taking her Senate bid fairly seriously. And while I'd most-likely vote for her if she got the nomination (and would love to see her beat Kennedy out for the seat), at this point I'm just not convinced that she could beat Mark Kennedy.

3 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think she can win against Kennedy, and I have real doubts that anyone can beat him this time.

Dayton hosed us.

Patty would be better off starting to organize now for a run against Coleman. Of course, its tough to unseat an incumbent too.

At the end of the day though, can't the DFL find any candidates that aren't already losers? It doesn't sound like it should be that hard.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I hope you don't mind, but I linked to this post on the new dfl senate blog (www.dflsenate.blogspot.com).

It would be so nice if we could actually get passionate about a candidate rather than just the race itself.

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patty Wetterling is the best state-wide canidate that we have currently.
There is one simple reason why she lost the 6th Congressional seat, she announced that she was pro-choice. The day she announced this, I knew that the campaign was over. Central MN is the bible belt of our state, and it is hard to realize how essential this issue is to central MN until you spend some time there. I personally was born and raised in MN, but went to school up there. I was shocked, when i would be cussed out by elderly woman, because I was door knocking for a pro-choice person in Wellstone.
Patty has the best chance of winning a statewide race, because abortion is not as much of an issue around the entire state.
She recived 46% in the most social conservative area of our state, which is better than i thought she would do. If a canidate can get 46% in the 6th, I think the canidate can win by a large margin, when you add the democratic cities, and the suburban "soccer moms".
The problem with Klobachar is simple...she annoys strong democrats, what are the independents and moderate republicans going to think of her?
We need to rally around Patty, if we don't we will waste a great canidate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home