11/01/2004

Power Line on Democrats: "Betrayal of America"



I've been sitting on this Blogumentary interview clip with the Power Line guys for awhile now. I treat them fairly, I think, in the film. But this clip has always bugged me, for obvious reasons. I tossed out the observation that what side you're on in this country depends on whether you think we're at war with Islamofascism or George W. Bush. John Hinderaker took that and ran to a very divisive place.

QUICKTIME CLIP: What Power Line Thinks of Democrats [4 MB]

An excerpt: As far as I can tell the Left doesn't care about terrorism, doesn't care about the Islamofascists, doesn't care about hundreds of thousands of people being murdered. All they care about is their own power. [...] The whole mainstream of the Democratic Party, I would say, is engaged in an effort that really is a betrayal of America.

Terribly disheartening words. Not only because they aren't true, but they reveal a lack of respect for people like me and half of this country. I don't think he means it to be. For militaristic neoconservatives like Power Line, protecting America from terrorism is exponentially more important than anything else. They take this to the extreme - whatever it takes, to Islam's last breath, and our children's last dime. If you have any less fervor on this point, you are a "betrayal of America."

This is not the way to start healing America. We need more understanding and less demonizing. More balanced views, less extremism. Let's hope a Kerry presidency is up to the challenge. More importantly, let's hope we are up to the challenge.

1 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Blogger Chuck Olsen said...

As a point of interest, observe Scott Johnson's reaction during Hinderaker's tirade. He's smiling and engaged at first, but as Hinderaker gets more extreme - "[they] don't care about hundreds of thousands of people being murdered" - Scott looks down and his hand twitches nervously.

I think that's telling. Scott is obviously more moderate and gentle compared to Hinderaker. I don't think I've ever heard Scott say anything inflammatory. He's very reasonable and respectful and likable. His body language says he's not comfortable with Hinderaker's extreme remarks. (Either that, or "I sure wish he wasn't saying this stuff on-camera.")

Hinderaker comes off as forceful and a bit cocky. His body language tells you he believes every word he says. However, in some of my interview with him, his eye starts twitching when I take issue with what he's saying. To me, that hints at some anger or intolerance lurking beneath the surface.

Finally, to be fair, I come off as completely incompetent and retarded as an interviewer. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home