9/29/2004

The Vote Heard Around the World

Perhaps you've heard about Emma Torkelson, the 100-year-old woman from my hometown who is voting for the first time in her life. She's a "lifelong Democrat" who is casting her first vote for George W. Bush. Here's why. It's a shame to see a lifelong Democrat not cast a single ballot for a Democratic Presidential candidate. C'mon Emma, we're not that bad, really. Reading about Emma sort of makes me think about Mark's piece from the other day. Hopefully Emma will stick around for another four years and come back to our side again in 2008.

5 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Chris Dykstra said...

Alas I only wish I wrote that piece. I believe it was Mark D.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger ryan said...

My bad. Note that it has been struck from the congressional record. Ugh.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger orc said...

How the devil can you be a "lifelong Democrat" when you've never voted?

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Carson said...

That is exactly the first thought I had. If she had never voted (or at least contributed), she is not really a Democrat.

I could claim to be an astronaut, but I have never been in space. Am I really an astronaut???

If she has volunteered some time or services to the Dems over the years... maybe. But if you are a Democrat... that means you vote Democrat. Not voting would just make you... Jesse Ventura.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Chris Dykstra said...

She promised herself a long time ago, If I get to 100 I am going to VOTE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home